Motorcycling: Is it safe to pull in the clutch or hit neutral to coast silently on relatively long downhill stretches?

Vinay

Reaction score
It's fun sometimes, just the wind and the tire noise without the engine noise disturbing. On a downhill stretch , no matter how gentle the slope, a free coasting motorcycle will accelerate to a dangerous speed.
On a motorcycle in neutral or de-clutched, the only way to slow the bike down are the brakes. Prolonged brake usage will cause the pads, shoes, disc and drums to heat up, eventually fading. On hydraulic systems, overheated brakes can lead to outright failure if the fluid is heated past its safe operating temperature.
On a ride down from Mussorie to Dehradun one of my ride companions had this hare brained idea to save fuel by coasting down the hill in neutral. On one tight switchback ( hairpin bend ) , we ran into some traffic and I had to stop , only to be rammed from the back by this bike. 2 m ( 6ft ) from where my bike slid forward, there was a 300m ( 1000 ft ) drop. Turned out that the continuous use of the brakes had cause the calipers to overheat. The brake fluid on that bike had not been replaced for over 4 years and would have had moisture in it ( brake fluid is extremely hygroscopic and will absorb moisture all the time ). The overheated moisture laden fluid boiled in the calipers and left the bike with absolutely no brakes at all. Lucky for him that we ran into traffic and I was parked below him in gear with the front brakes fully engaged.
Fun is fine but when it can lead to dangerous conditions for you and other users of the road, its time to put a stop to it.
You want the silent coasting downhill experience? Get a bicycle.:cool:

[email protected]

IBRO
Planning Commission
Reaction score
Keeping the Bike in Neutral or Full Clutch down a hill is the worst thing that you can do on a bike. Engine Breaking is one technique that I would recommend to all riders for any down hill rides on a bike. This allows the biker to keep the bike in control while not overheating your breaks.

srinivas2609

Reaction score
For More expert Comments Guys can Contact Mr Gaurav Kumar (Founder) Delhi Chapter. He had a wonderful experience Just Last Month.

@ Gaurav Bhai Your Experience Please and Please Mention How much petrol you saved in that Chitkul Trip :)

Vyshnavme

Reaction score
I tried to do it on my tb man man. Disc brake started to wear out. And brakes stopped working. Yea engine braking is the one of the technique so that yo slow it down during hairpin bends. And I wouldn’t recommend it either.
Ride safe! ✌

Our Recommended Helmets

As an Amazon Associate I earn from qualifying purchases.